Grantown On Spey
Grantown-on-Spey, the traditional capital of the Strathspey region, is an attractive and charming town on the northern edge of the Cairngorms National Park. Originally laid out in the late 1760s by Sir James Grant, the town is the historic centre for the Clan Grant, one of the most famous Highland clans. The town boasts an array of historic buildings, striking Georgian and Victorian architecture, an extended grassy square and a wealth of high quality independent shops, and a good range of cafes, pubs and restaurants to suit varied tastes and budgets. There is also has an award-winning Museum telling the story of Grantown’s heritage and culture of the region from 1765 to the present.
Grantown is surrounded by ancient woodland, much of which is community owned and which offer a unique habitat for a wide variety of wildlife. The Anagach Woods have way-marked trails for walking and mountain biking, with a variety of terrain to suit varying abilities. There are also numerous other walks and trails around the town, including the hike up Dreggie which offers wonderful views over the town to the Cromdale Hills and Cairngorm Mountains. To find out more about the town and what it has to offer, simply Visit Grantown.
In terms of our own recommendations for eating and drinking locally, then we’d suggest any of the following:
- The High St. Merchants – lovely friendly cafe, deli & gallery serving a good selection of refreshments & food
- The Craig Bar – good beer & banter, great pie & chips, log fire, & pool room with jukebox
- The Wee Puffin – good food at reasonable prices with nice friendly service
- No.7 Bistro – cafe-restaurant serving a good range of lunches, snacks, & evening meals
- Sylhet Brasserie – a good & busy curry house with friendly but occasionally ‘hit & miss’ service
- Golden Grantown – Chinese takeaway on the High Street open 7 days a week
- The Royal Fish Bar – excellent fish & chip shop
- Best Pizza – takeaway pizza & kebabs
- Garth Hotel & Restaurant – a bit more upmarket & traditional, serving the best local produce in some imaginative dishes
- Seafield Lodge Hotel – a good range from a simple tasty bar meal to a high quality evening meal
If heading into Aviemore, then we recommend La Taverna – excellent all-you-can-eat pizza & pasta buffet – & The Ski-ing Doo – big burgers, steaks, chillis etc – as good options to suit most groups & tastes.
If you’re trying any of these, then let them know that we sent you.
If needing transport to get there, then Grantown-based Lindsay Jack operates a 16-seater minibus which can be booked on 01479 872675 or 07821 111925. Aviemore-based Bremners – 01479 812322 – also have a 16-seater, and Weirs of Aviemore – 01479 810141 – have a fleet of 7 and 8 seaters. Another option is Gerry’s Aviemore Taxi on 01479 849072 or 07515 001569.